Chicago Fraud Attorney
Experienced Criminal Defense Attorney for Chicago Fraud Cases
In recent years, both state and federal governments have begun cracking down on fraud and other white collar crimes, making penalties for fraudulent activities significantly more severe. If you have been accused of fraud, you could be facing huge fines and many years in state prison. You need a hard-hitting, skilled attorney from my firm, the Law Offices of Mitch Furman on your side. I, Mitch Furman, am a seasoned Chicago
criminal defense lawyer with more than a decade of legal experience. I have worked with hundreds of individuals to reduce their sentences or have their charges dropped altogether. My track record of
successful results proves my commitment to helping each of my clients reach the best outcome possible for their situation. Don't try to navigate the legal system without a professional Chicago fraud lawyer working with you. Let me help you fight the charges in each step of the criminal justice process.
Types of Fraud Offenses and Penalties
Although fraudulent behavior can take many forms, at its core, all fraud involves intentionally deceiving a person or organization for financial gain. This financial gain is often comprised of money, but can also encompass property or other items of value. Common types of fraud include:
- Identity Theft—An individual commits this type of fraud when he or she illegally gains access to another person's information and uses it for economic gain.
- Mail Fraud—When a person uses the U.S. Postal Service to deceive or collect payment from victims, he or she commits mail fraud.
- Insurance Fraud—If an individual falsifies a health care claim or another insurance form, exaggerating their illness or losses for monetary gain, he or she can be guilty of insurance fraud.
- Debit/Credit Card Fraud—This type of fraud involves wrongfully taking, using, selling, or forging another individual's debit or credit card or information. It can also include using your own card when you know your account does not contain enough money to pay for your purchase.
- Ponzi Schemes—Perhaps the most famous type of fraud involves attracting investors by promising large dividends, and then scamming individuals by using new investors' funds to pay earlier investors.
Sentences for fraud vary widely depending on the type of fraudulent behavior and amount of money involved. Convictions can result in restitution, or repayment of individuals or entities harmed, lengthy imprisonment, substantial fines, probation, and other consequences, and in large scale operations it could lead to forfeiture of assets if it is believed these assets were paid for with money earned through illegal acts.
Hire an Aggressive Chicago Criminal Defense Lawyer
I understand what is at stake when facing fraud charges. That's why I work relentlessly to protect my clients' rights in and outside of the courtroom. I am extremely well versed in criminal law and have a reputation for legal excellence. I can provide you with a clear picture of where you stand and what your options are, so you know what to expect as your case progresses. I offer a free case evaluation, so you can ask any questions you may have and learn more about how I can assist you.
Contact my firm today and gain an experienced Chicago criminal defense attorney as your advocate.