Police Commonly Use "The One Leg Stand"
This is acutually more popular that one would think.
This field sobriety test is probably the most difficult of all the exercises. By the way, let's not refer to it as a "test," because if one's case goes to trial, that could be something that could make or break the case. Why? If we refer to it as a "TEST," that could be something that would be refered to as a pass or fail. Not something that would be beneficial for most.
The way that it works is that the officer will ask to stand on one leg/foot, six inches off the ground while counting by 1000's to the officer while they will be evaluating your every move. They will be watching you and timing you for a minimum of at least 30 seconds.
WHAT THEY WILL BE FOR THE FOLLOWING:
1.Placing a Foot Down-
Ok, even if it happens once it's a big problem. They will continue to watch and not let you know that you have failed because they want to see how many more times it will happen as you are counting. Also, not letting you know that you have failed.
2. Jumping, Hopping or Stumbling While Trying to Maintain Balance-
All of the above can damage your "score" for the exercise.
3. Swaying While Trying to Maintain Balance-
The most that they will really allow from the "sway" is approximately 3 inches.
4. Using Your Arms to Balance-
The officer will be watching for you to keep your arms to your side. If one is feeling "woozy" or a little off balance, the first instinct is to put your arms out in a "Helicopter Style" to balance. Once again, a big no no.
IF YOU ARE PULLED OVER AND KNOW THAT YOU MAY HAVE HAD TO MUCH TO DRINK...
DO NOT AGREE TO PERFORM THIS EXERCISE!!!!!
- Most likely you are setting yourself up for failure
- The Officer is not only watching if you can maintain your balance, but also to see if you are nervous and how well you are maintaining your attention span to do what they are asking you to do.
- If you are not gifted with balance in the first place, talk about a disaster waiting to happen!
- Most often even if one is SOBER, it can be the most challenging exercise for most individuals!
BOTTOM LINE, PLEASE DO NOT AGREE TO TAKE THIS TEST AFTER READING THIS, AND YOU THINK THAT YOU MAY HAVE HAD TOO MUCH TO DRINK!!! DON'T SET YOURSELF UP FOR FAILURE!
IF YOU HAVE ALREADY BEEN ARRESTED OR NEED ASSISTANCE WITH A DUI/DWI, OR ARE IN NEED OF AN ATTORNEY...
CALL ATTORNEY MITCH FURMAN, THE ATTORNEY THAT KNOWS BEST AND WHO WILL SERVE REPRESENT YOUR CASE INDEFINITELY THE BEST WITHIN THE CHICAGOLAND AREA.