Overview of DUI Charges in Illinois
Experienced Defense from a Chicago DUI Lawyer
Have you been arrested for driving under the influence in Chicago? By contacting my firm, I can offer you information and guidance based upon your particular case. I am an experienced DUI defense attorney with more than a decade in this field.
When You May Be Charged With DUI
The law considers someone driving under the influence (DUI) when they have a blood alcohol content (BAC) of .08% or higher. If you are under the age of 21, any detectable amount of alcohol in your blood stream can be considered to be driving under the influence. Facing these charges can lead to serious consequences for you, so it is advisable to contact a defense attorney immediately after your arrest.
- A DUI case can begin with your initial stop. The police officer must have probable cause to pull you over in the first place, such as seeing you weaving or speeding.
- Once you have been pulled over, the officer will normally ask you to step out of your car and take a field sobriety test.
- If the officers determines from the test results that there is a good probability you are DUI, he will take you into the station and have you tested more fully there with a blood or breath test. Your car will be impounded during this procedure.
- If the blood or breath test shows your BAC over the legal limit, you will be booked for DUI and your license suspended. Even if your BAC was not over the legal limit but you obviously were impaired and not driving safely, you can still be charged.
Types of DUI Charges
According to the Illinois State Police website, there are many different types of DUI-related charges that a driver may face. If you are facing any of the charges listed below, have been arrested or are dealing with any legal issue related to a drunk driving offense of any kind, do not wait to involve an attorney who can help. The consequences of any of these particular offenses may be great, resulting in imprisonment, license suspension and more.
Some of these include:
- DUI – driving under the influence of alcohol/drugs with a blood alcohol concentration of .08% or greater or while one's abilities are impaired by alcohol or a controlled substance
- Aggravated DUI – DUI involving a collision that causes great bodily harm or disfigurement
- Knowingly permitting another driver to drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Refusing a chemical test after a DUI arrest
- Underage DUI – driver under the age of 21 operating a motor vehicle with a blood alcohol concentration of .02% or greater
- Commercial DUI – driving under the influence committed by a commercial driver
Additional Factors in DUI Sentencing
It is vital to take these charges seriously and don't just plead guilty, as the conviction can affect your future for years to come. In addition to the loss of your license, you may have difficulty obtaining certain types of employment and your insurance rates can skyrocket. By contacting the Law Offices of Mitch Furman, you have an opportunity to get your charges reduced, or even dismissed, depending on the circumstances of your arrest.
There are other factors that can affect your charges, such as:
- driving a commercial vehicle, which carries a .04% legal limit
- being under age 21
- driving with children under the age of 16
Need an attorney for a DUI in Chicago?
It is possible to fight your drinking driving charges if you have a skilled lawyer at your side to represent your side of the story while protecting your legal rights. Because I have extensive experience, resources and am fully committed to my clients, I am confident in my ability to provide you with the legal representation that you deserve in this important situation.
Contact my firm today to discuss your criminal charges. Call today at (312) 236-7078!