Felony Crimes Attorney in Chicago
Call (312) 236-7078 to Speak to a Chicago Criminal Defense Attorney
I am Chicago Criminal Defense Attorney Mitch Furman. For decades, I have fought for the rights and freedoms of people like you, and I am prepared to be your advocate during your brush with the Illinois criminal justice system. If you are being charged with a felony crime, don't wait to get the representation you need.
Types Felony Crimes & Related Penalties in Illinois
According to 720 III. Comp. Stat. § 5/2-7, the state of Illinois defines felonies as crimes that may warrant one or more years in prison or the death penalty. Excluding murder, felony crimes and related punishments in Illinois are classified as follows:
- Class 4: Regular penalties include 1-3 years in prison. Extended term penalties can involve as many as 6 years in prison. Examples include stalking, aggravated assault, DUI without a valid driver's license, and more.
- Class 3: Regular penalties include 2-5 years in prison. Extended term penalties can involve as many as 10 years in prison. Examples include aggravated battery, forgery, involuntary manslaughter, and more.
- Class 2: Regular penalties include 3-7 years in prison. Extended term penalties can involve as many as 14 years in prison. Examples include arson, unlawful cannabis manufacturing, criminal transmission of HIV, and more.
- Class 1: Regular penalties include 4-15 years in prison. Extended term penalties can involve as many as 30 years in prison. Examples include criminal sexual assault, vehicular invasion, production of child pornography, and more.
- Class X: Regular penalties include 6-30 years in prison. Extended term penalties can involve as many as 60 years in prison. Examples include battery with a firearm, aggravated battery, armed robbery, and other serious crimes.
Fines for felony crimes of any class many not exceed $25,000, though convicted persons can expect to pay additional court fees and legal costs.
Other Consequences of a Felony Conviction
In addition to time in prison and thousands of dollars in fines, court costs, and legal fees, being convicted of a felony can (and likely will) have adverse effects on your life for decades to come. Having a felony conviction on your public record can made it exceptionally challenging for you to find gainful employment, obtain financing for cars, real estate, and other important assets, maintain good standing in family legal matters (especially child custody), and more.
Chicago Premier Felony Defense Lawyer
With so much on the line and time running short, your best course of action is to contact Lawyer Mitch Furman, today. Law enforcement is notorious for utilising coercive tactics in order to make an arrest and beef up their case. Police will often mislead, and misrepresent to the accused that all they want to do is clear their name. Do not fall into that trap. Voluntarily submitting yourself to a police interview, without having a lawyer present is one of the worst mistakes you can make. A skilled lawyer at your side, will make sure that law enforcement do not take advantage of you. I have been a lawyer for over 20 years and am well versed in dealing with the cops. If you are a target of police investigation, call me, today. A Chicago Premier FelonyCriminal Defense Lawyer.
When you are being charged with a felony crime of any kind, your reputation, livelihood, and financial future are on the line. Don't waste any time in securing representation from a knowledgeable, skillful criminal defense attorney who has experience handling felony criminal matters. Your wellbeing depends on it.
Call (312) 236-7078 today to get started.