Chicago Child Custody Attorney
Speak with a Family Lawyer in Chicago Today
Unless there is evidence of abuse or another condition that would directly oppose the child's best interests, the court will presume involvement by both parents in the raising of the child. Speak with an attorney from my firm today to find out how you can pursue your child's best interests and ensure that his or her future is protected. In our state, divorce courts make decisions based on the best interests of the child.
The court will weigh the following factors when making a decision involving child custody:
- The wishes of the parents
- The wishes of the child
- The relationship that the child has to both parents and siblings
- The child's adjustment to his school, home and community
- The physical and mental health of the child and parents
- Whether there has been any threat of violence against the child
- Whether there has ever been violence committed on the child
- Evidence of any abuse
- The parents' ability and willingness to encourage the child's relationship with both parents
- Whether wither parent is considered a sex offender
How an Attorney Can Help with Child Custody
In addition to the mentioned criteria, the court will also take into consideration the current role of the parent in the child's life. In some cases, one parent is currently the primary caregiver. It is never wise to try and persuade the child to choose one parent over the other. Children are easily influenced and it can extremely negative emotional and mental effects on the child. I,Attorney Mitch Furman, have helped countless families successfully deal with child custody issues in my years of family law practice.
Please feel free to call the firm today if you have any questions regarding child custody and support. I am here to assist you through this difficult time.